In this blog, I am going to discuss types of teeth stains and teeth whitening procedures.
This procedure is to remove the stains present on the teeth. Millions of patients have stained and discolored teeth and would like to improve their smile. At smile plus dental care on consultation people liked to improve their smile, the most common response was to remove stains from the teeth. Understanding the procedure starts with understanding tooth staining. At smile plus dental care the basic types of stains that affect the teeth, will be evaluated.
There are Two Types of stains:-Extrinsic stains and Intrinsic stains
Extrinsic stains are on the surface of the tooth. Their causes include:
- Tobacco products
- Foods and drinks such as berries, coffee, tea, and red wine
- Tartar (which forms when plaque remains on the teeth)
Intrinsic stains are beneath the surface and are difficult to remove. These stains are part of the tooth and caused by:
- Excessive fluoride use
Teeth Whitening Procedure
There are two main types of teeth whitening procedures.
b) Non-Vital procedure
Vital procedure is for the tooth that has live nerves.
The non-vital procedure is applied on root canal tooth which does not have a live nerve.
Vital Teeth Whitening
Usually, in teeth whitening, the doctor uses a gel that is applied directly to the tooth surface. This product contains some form of hydrogen peroxide.
It is done either in the dentist’s office or at home. The in-office procedure allows your dentist to use a more powerful whitening gel. A specialized light or laser activates the gel and allows bleaching to happen faster.
The in-office procedure usually takes 30 to 90 minutes. You will need 1 to 3 appointments. The number will depend upon the method used, how severe your stains are and how white you want your teeth to be. Different types of stains respond differently to the treatment.
The procedures for the Teeth Whitening is as follows:
- Dentist will apply a substance that covers and protects the gums around the teeth.
- The doctor will place the ingredient on teeth.
- Laser Heat will be activating the bleaching agent.
- The doctor shines a light on your teeth
The patient must continue the Bleaching procedure if necessary.
- The dentist at Smile Plus Dental Care will first take impressions of your upper and lower teeth and secondly will make custom trays to fit on the teeth
- A close fit trays helps the agent remain in contact with your teeth.
- The dentist will provide the teeth whitening agent for application on the custom mouthpiece and the patient will wear during night hours for three consecutive days.
Thus the patient will notice the difference in the teeth color post the application of the agent.